Office chairs with gas lift mechanisms are a popular choice for both home and office use, providing an easy way to adjust the height of the chair to accommodate different users and tasks. However, over time, gas lifts can wear out and need to be replaced. This can be a relatively simple DIY project, but if you’re not confident in your ability to replace the gas lift, it’s best to consult a professional for office chair repairs.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of replacing a gas lift on an office chair, from gathering tools and materials to testing the chair for stability.
With the right steps and a little patience, you’ll have a smoothly functioning office chair in no time!
How gas lift chairs work
Gas lift chairs, also known as pneumatic chairs are adjustable using a lever found just below the seat. But how does it work?
There are a few office chair components that make up the system. These include:
- The chair base
- A gas lift cylinder that stores the compressed air
- A seat that is covered with a plate holding the adjustable lever
- A padded back support
Most office chairs use a hydraulic mechanism to adjust the height of the chair. This mechanism is powered by a gas-filled cylinder that is located inside the base of the chair. When you activate the adjustment mechanism, the gas inside the cylinder compresses or expands, causing the chair to rise or lower.
The height adjustment is controlled by a lever or switch, which activates a valve that controls the flow of gas in and out of the office chair cylinder. The gas lift mechanism provides a smooth, controlled and stable adjustment of the chair height, making it easy for the user to adjust the chair to the perfect height for their needs.
Gas lift chairs are commonly used in office, schools and educational environments, as they allow for quick and easy adjustments to accommodate different users and tasks. Adjustable stools are also commonly used in specialist work applications, such as medical and dental clinics, as they provide a convenient way to adjust the height of a chair for comfort and ease of use.
Common problems with office chairs
Gas lift chairs and stools are popular due to their convenience and ease of use, but unlike chairs without wheels, they can also experience problems over time. Here are some common problems with gas lift chairs:
- Height adjustment issues: The most common problem with gas lifts is difficulty adjusting the height. This can be caused by a faulty valve, a leak in the gas cylinder, or a lack of lubrication.
- Sinking: Another common issue is the chair “sinking” when weight is applied to it. This can be caused by a leak in the gas cylinder or a weak spring in the base of the chair.
- Noise: A gas lift chair that makes creaking or squeaking noises when adjusting the height or when weight is applied to it can be an annoyance. This can be caused by a lack of lubrication or worn parts in the mechanism.
- Stability problems: If the chair feels wobbly or unstable, it may be due to a problem with the base or the gas lift mechanism. This can be caused by worn or damaged parts or a lack of tightening of the bolts securing the gas lift to the base of the chair.
- Leaks: Gas lifts can also develop leaks, causing the chair to lose its height adjustment capability. A leak can be caused by a damaged cylinder or a faulty valve.
If you experience any of these problems with your gas lift chair, it may be time to replace the gas lift. Or if you’re experiencing other office chair problems, have a professional inspect and repair the chair.
So how do you stop your office chair from sinking?
Before you start the replacement process, it’s important to diagnose the issue with your gas lift chair. If your chair or stool is sinking, not adjusting properly, or making strange noises, it’s likely time to replace the gas lift. Note that gas cylinders cannot be re-gassed and must be replaced.
If you’re confident in your DIY skills, replacing the gas lift on an office chair can be a relatively simple task.
1. The tools you need
To replace the gas lift on an office chair, you will need a new gas lift mechanism, a pipe wrench or pliers, and a screwdriver. Make sure to check the size of your chair gas lift mechanism before purchasing a replacement, as they come in different sizes.
Arteil carries all of the most common chair parts, including a range of gas cylinders, and offers Australia-wide delivery, so there’s no reason not to tackle that project yourself.
2. Removing the old gas lift cylinder
To remove the old gas lift chair cylinder, turn the chair upside down and locate the base of the gas lift. Use a pipe wrench or pliers to loosen the bolts that secure the gas lift to the base of the chair. Carefully remove the old gas lift and set it aside.
3. Installing your new gas lift mechanism
Insert the new gas lift cylinder into the base of the chair, making sure it is aligned with the bolts. Tighten the bolts securely to secure the new gas lift in place.
4. An important note about office chair cylinder safety
Always exercise caution when working with tools and chair components. If you need clarification on any aspect of the process, it’s best to seek help from a professional.
5. Enjoy your new chair
With the new gas lift mechanism installed, turn the chair right side up and adjust the height of the chair to your desired level. Test the chair for stability and adjust if necessary. Congratulations, you have successfully replaced the gas lift on your office chair!