Chairs are some of the most taken-for-granted pieces of home office furniture we use daily. This seems unfair, especially when you consider how hard our chairs work for us.
A good chair is essential if we are able to work, or simply sit, with adequate lumbar and pelvic support. This means your back muscles are less stressed, and that you are able to maintain a better posture, to breathe properly, and to feel less fatigued over time. Depending on your type of posture, a comfortable office chair can make a tremendous difference, especially if you are sitting in your chair for many hours.
So, if you’re in the market for the best office chair to use for work or at home, do yourself a favour and check out this curated list of the 10 most comfortable office chairs for 2022.
1. The Best Office Chair in Australia: KAB ACS EXECUTIVE
The KAB ACS EXECUTIVE is probably the best and most comfortable office chair you’ll ever find in Australia, featuring height and tilt-adjustable headrests, as well as body-contoured cushions.
Upping the ante in terms of comfort and support, this fabulous chair has tip-up, adjustable armrests that you can also flip-up out of the way, a 16-degree backrest angle adjustment feature, and an air lumbar system for adjusting lower back support.
This versatile chair that’s suitable for home and office use is manufactured using high-grade upholstered leather.
2. The Best Mesh Office Chair: SYNCHRO MESH EXECUTIVE
The contemporary-designed SYNCHRO MESH EXECUTIVE has a durable mesh backrest to keep you comfortably cool while working on your daily tasks. It has five chair adjustment features: seat height, seat angle, back height, back angle, sliding seat. This way, your body benefits from better spinal alignment and increased circulation no matter your body type or personal requirements.
The Synchro Mesh Executive chair is also tested to 136kg to provide a robust and long-lasting office chair to suit your ergonomic office.
3. The Best Executive and Boardroom Chair: REGAL EXECUTIVE HIGH BACK
Be your best, most-confident self in the boardroom with the REGAL EXECUTIVE HIGH BACK, finished in upholstered leather (choice of black, chocolate or tan) and featuring a durable polished aluminium base.
Stay comfortable and relaxed with this premium, reclining executive office chair as you discuss new plans and strategies with other executives. With the Regal Executive High Back’s stylish arm rests and comfortable seating position, this is easily the most comfortable office chair you’ll ever find in the boardroom.
4. The Best Armless Office Chair: GRYPHON MK 1
Suitable for general office use, the GRYPHON MK 1 features a Duomatic mechanism with a moulded outer back, and four chair adjustments: seat height, seat angle, back height and back angle. This ensures superior lumbar support for the lower back and reduces hip and leg strain.
The option of seat size (from 430x510mm to 550x510mm) allows this armless office chair to be custom designed to suit your specifications.
5. The Best Eco-Friendly Office Chair: GRYPHON EXECUTIVE
If going green is one of your main business goals for 2022, you can’t wrong with the GRYPHON EXECUTIVE. It’s easily one of the best office chairs in Australia when it comes to eco-friendliness. Just like the rest of our Gryphon office line of chairs, the Gryphon executive is a sustainable office chair that will give you the support you need.
What’s more, this ultra-comfortable office chair has adjustable arms, and features the Tiltamatic mechanism that gives you five chair adjustments: seat height, seat angle, seat tilt, back height, and back angle.
6. The Best Heavy-Duty Office Chair: SAPPHIRE SEMINAR – MODEL 4
If you’re in the business of hosting or managing events such as conferences, seminars, exhibits and the like, the SAPPHIRE SEMINAR – MODEL 4 is your best option.
The Sapphire Seminar – Model 4 has durable polyurethane arms, and its sturdily-engineered frame is guaranteed to handle weights of up to 150 kilograms. For the comfort of your event attendees, this stylish chair has a fabric outer back and is made of commercial grade upholstery.
Aside from events, the Sapphire Seminar – Model 4 is also suitable for foyers and waiting rooms in hospitals, clinics and educational facilities.
7. The Best Office Kneeling Chair: LIBERTY KNEELING CHAIR
One of the most impressive results of ergonomic engineering is the kneeling chair. With the LIBERTY KNEELING CHAIR, you get all the benefits of ergonomic kneeling chairs designed to promote good posture while sitting. This chair reduces stress on the pelvis and pressure in the disk of your spine, engages the back and abdominal muscles, and eliminates stress on the lower back.
Featuring black fabric upholstery, the Liberty Kneeling Chair features a seat height adjustment and comes highly recommended for use on hard floors.
8. The Best Saddle Stool: NOVA SADDLE STOOL WITH BACK REST
Traditionally associated with hairdressing salons and healthcare clinics, where people need to easily navigate their workplace while remaining seated, saddle stools are also becoming more popular in home, industrial and office settings, creating a more ergonomic office layout.
The NOVA SADDLE STOOL WITH BACK REST has all the features that make a saddle stool one of the best ergonomic seats out there, such as ensuring a better posture, improving leg circulation and core muscle
The Nova Saddle Stool is upholstered in black vinyl and features a duomatic mechanism with four chair adjustments: seat height, seat angle, back height, back angle.
9. The Best Café and Restaurant Chair: STACY STACKER CAFE CHAIR
So, what makes for a great restaurant chair?
Of course, comfort and support are important in a café or restaurant setting, as people tend to linger over coffee, food and great conversation. Low level seating for dining tables to moderately high chairs for bar table seating are your best choice for maximum relaxation. But you also need to factor in design features that agree with your restaurant aesthetics.
The STACY STACKER ticks all the right boxes, and it comes in black and white variants. You also have the option to get it fitted with Nylon arms. It’s also stackable and suitable for waiting rooms, foyers, schools and educational facilities.
10. The Best Office Stool: GRYPHON MK4 OFFICE STOOL
The GRYPHON MK4 STOOL is a sturdy yet comfortable, stylish chair.
Robustly-engineered and designed with quality material for comfort and durability. Suitable for home and office use, this stool will keep you comfortable even for long working hours. The Gryphon Office Stool will give you the much-needed support for a healthy posture, improved circulation and enhanced mood.
What are the benefits of investing in a good office chair?
If you spend most of your time at work sitting at your desk, it’s crucial to have a good, high-quality office chair. The best office chairs provide the following benefits:
- Higher productivity: Even if you are generally in good health, sitting in an uncomfortable chair can be a pain. It can lead to backaches and neck strain – especially if you’re seated for several hours. This can affect your productivity because you could lose focus on the task at hand while you struggle to find a comfortable position. An ergonomic task chair, on the other hand, moulds to the contours of your body and provides adequate lumbar support. With a comfortable office chair, you can focus on work rather than your chair that’s causing you problems.
- Better posture: A poorly constructed, uncomfortable office chair can have you slouching for hours in a day and strain your muscles and ligaments. But with the best ergonomic office chair, your back will get the support it needs to assume a natural position. It will also have adjustable features to help you settle into the best, most comfortable position overall.
- Reduction in health risks: Having a bad chair and being forced to assume unnatural and uncomfortable sitting positions can worsen the health risks associated with a sedentary lifestyle. A bad sitting position can affect blood circulation and lead to the formation of blood clots. Meanwhile, sitting on a hard chair can lead to the formation of cellulite as the seat adds pressure to the hip and thighs, thereby allowing fat to easily accumulate in those areas.
How to find the best office chair for your needs
Shopping for the best office chair in Australia requires you to take a focused approach. After all, there are a lot of office chairs out there, and some can easily cost you several hundred dollars.
To find the best office chair for you, consider the following:
- Your budget: How much are you willing to spend on an office chair? If you want to get the best home office chair or task chair, you need to set a realistic budget. To arrive at a fair cost, do your research and commit to a price range.
- Chair features: Are you looking for an ergonomic office chair or an executive chair? Or does your workspace limit your options to compact task chairs or even stool-type chairs? Do you want a leather office chair or one made of fabric with a mesh back? What comfort features (e.g., built-in heating pads, self-adjusting backrest) do you want? To narrow down your options, make a list of must-have features and align your chair search to that list.
- Lumbar support: While budget chairs don’t typically have this feature, most mid- to higher-range chairs do. Lumbar support is an important feature you might want to consider to reduce strain on the lower back and help you assume a more comfortable sitting position. Some chair makers position lumbar support as an optional extra feature you can ask for.
When you visit shops to find the most comfortable office chair in Australia, make sure you try out the different chairs you are considering or ask for recommendations.
What features are a must for the best office chair?
The best home office chair in Australia (or any excellent office chair, for that matter) would have the following features:
- Height adjustability: Whether you are tall or short, wear heels or flats, the best office chairs should be height-adjustable to comfortably accommodate users of varying heights.
- Lumbar support: A great office chair would help maintain the natural curve of your back and ensure your body is aligned properly.
- Back tilt feature: Instead of forcing you to sit upright for several hours, office chairs with a back tilt feature allow you to move as you work.
- Optimum seat pan depth: Seats that are too deep can add pressure to the back of your legs, and too shallow ones don’t offer enough leg support.
What office chairs should be avoided?
As you look for the most comfortable office chair, steer clear of chairs that are too soft or hard. Also, don’t buy a chair that’s too bulky for your workspace, and avoid chairs without a warranty, especially if you’re making a significant investment.
Searching for Personalised Advice on the best office chair for you?
Get in touch with the team at Arteil to find the best office chair for your body type and requirements. Whether looking to update your home furniture or find an ergonomic and comfortable office chair for extended periods of use, our specialist team will recommend the perfect chair. Many of the chairs are even avilable in a range of colour and upholstery types.